Parent Council is a group of persons that provide advice to the Principal of a school. This form of organization is characterized by a high level of community involvement in multiple functions; such as organizing information evenings, supporting existing school programs, fundraising and food preparation.
The purpose of this council is to provide support to the school without formally serving as an advisory group. An executive is elected on an annual basis with numbers appropriate to the particular needs of the school as identified by the school Principal and staff. (reference: The Education Administration Act).
Brandon School Division currently supports our school Parent Council groups through membership with the Manitoba Association of Parent Councils (MAPC).
Manitoba Association of Parent Councils (MAPC) is a provincial organization designed to support and promote parent involvement within school communities by providing schools with valuable support, skills, and resources, which include:
- A complimentary, electronic copy of the Empowering Parents: A Guide To Addressing Concerns in Manitoba Schools and the MAPC Resource Guide for Manitoba Parent Advisory Councils: Developing Best Practice for Parent Groups in Schools
- Seasonal newsletters and regular E-Bulletins, Facebook page, Pinterest, website
- Professional development presentations and other assistance to help strengthen PACs
- Invitations to special events (e.g. the annual Chairpersons' Breakfasts, parent forums, and annual conference)
- Other supports such as constitution and policy development, enhancing communication skills between parents and administrators, and skill building to run an effective parent council.
Manitoba Association of Parent Councils
1005-401 York Avenue, Winnipeg, Manitoba R3C 0P8
(204) 956-1770 Toll Free: 1-877-290-4702
www.facebook.com/mapcmb www.twitter.com/mapcmb www.pinterest.com/mapcmbca