Skip to main content

Earl Haig School


Earl Haig was named after Douglas Haig who was born in Edinburgh in 1861. He served in the Nile expedition in 1899 and was appointed to the Calvary of Staff to Lord Roberts during his march to Pretoria. During the first World War, he was in command of Aldershot and was the head of the first army corps in France. After the war, Haig was given the title Earl Haig. Douglas was appointed the Gold Stick in waiting and founded the British Legion and Poppy Day. The school was built in 1928 and named after this man, whose death occurred in the same year.
 

Built in 1928 1st Street and Victoria
 

Earl Haig Girls Volleyball Team
 

Back to top