Volunteering In BSD Schools
Brandon School Division welcomes volunteers in all 24 of our schools. Effective September 2022, all volunteers in BSD must complete the following certification prior to volunteering in our schools:
Respect in Schools / Respect in Sport:
Volunteers who are in schools for a consistent amount of time must be certified in Respect in School. Certification is valid for four (4) years from the date completed and must be renewed once expired.
Volunteer coaches are required to be certified in Respect in Sport. Certification is valid for five (5) years from the date completed and must be renewed once expired.
These documents are to be provided to the school(s) in which you are volunteering under.
Child Abuse Registry Check:
- Applications for Child Abuse Registry Check must be submitted through the school office in order to be exempt from the fee.
- Obtain a Volunteer Child Abuse Registry Check application form from your school office. Complete the following sections in the presence of a School Administrative Assistant or other staff member.
Part 1: Date and Signature
Part 2: Section B-1 through to B-7
Part 3: Print Full Name
- Two pieces of ID will need to be presented to be verified by a School Administrative Assistant or other staff member who will then sign the form and submit it on your behalf.
- Child Abuse Registry Checks are received back to the school office within 4-6 weeks, where they are kept on file.
Criminal Record Check:
- Obtain a completed “Volunteer Criminal Record Check Request” Form from your school office.
- Volunteers who reside within the City of Brandon, are to contact the Brandon Police Service at 204-729-2345 to make an in-person appointment.
- Volunteers who reside outside of the City of Brandon contact their local RCMP Office.
- Two pieces of ID will need to be presented, one being photo ID.
- Applications for Criminal Record Check must indicate volunteering in Brandon School Division and Vulnerable Sector check is required.
- Brandon Police Service requires payment at the time of application for fees and costs associated with fingerprinting.
- Original receipts may be submitted to the school office for reimbursement.
- When volunteers receive their completed Criminal Record Check back, the original document is to be provided to the school office to make a verified copy to be kept on file.
An updated CARC/CRC may not be required for:
- Individuals who have been actively volunteering consecutive school years.
- Individuals who present original documents performed by another agency or organization within the preceding four (4) months.
- Individuals who conduct classroom presentations with a teacher present.
- Active Brandon School Division employees.
In all circumstances, original documents must be inspected, and certified copies filed with the school in which you are volunteering at. For more information about volunteering in Brandon School Division, contact your neighbourhood school!