BSD Schools and COVID-19
Brandon School Division is committed to ensuring that our schools and facilities comply with the guidelines outlined by Manitoba Education and our Chief Provincial Public Health Office Dr. Brent Roussin.
As outlined in the Welcoming Our Students Back: Restoring Safe Schools [July 30, 2020], Brandon School Division and its schools began work to ensure our reopening plans complied with the guidelines contained in the provincial plan. Some of the strategies that will be employed in each building to address the safety of students and staff are as follows:
- A strict stay-at-home policy for any students or staff exhibiting symptoms of COVID-19.
- Screening protocols for students and staff will be implemented.
- Enhanced environmental cleaning and disinfecting procedures, including daily cleaning for all areas of the school. Washrooms and high-touch surfaces will be cleaned several times a day and regularly scheduled deep cleaning will occur when students are not present.
- Non-medical masks will be available for all students and staff.
- Hand hygiene requirements will be in place when entering and exiting the school and classrooms, and before and after eating.
- Physical distancing recommendations will be implemented in our schools.
- In K-8 schools, groups of students will be assigned to cohorts; students will remain in their groups for most of the day. Staff will remain with the same cohort whenever possible.
- Use of shared items or equipment will be avoided where possible.
- Reminders of the importance of respiratory and hygiene etiquette (e.g. cover coughs and sneezes) will be posted and spoken about.
- Drop-off/pick-up and student transportation procedures will be implemented to limit contact among households as much as possible.
- Public access to schools will be limited to essential school business. Schools will carefully document attendance of students, staff, and visitors to ensure up-to-date contact information for assisting public health management should a case be identified in the school.
Each school in Brandon School Division has its own plan for each level of the Pandemic Response System:
- BSD School Plans Caution Level (Yellow)
- BSD School Plans Restricted Level (Orange)
- BSD School Plans Critical Level (Red)
Brandon School Division is committed to following our mission of enabling each student to achieve maximum intellectual, emotional, social and physical growth. We all have a role to play in working together to keep our community safe, and in doing so we will be supporting our students' education.
Should you have any questions, we encourage you to contact your child's school directly or contact:
Manitoba Health Links